Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

The United States of Aerobica

America! 4th of July! Summertime! 

You know what I'm getting at: the Crystal Light National Aerobic Championship, of course!


The Crystal Light National Aerobic Championship is, first and foremost, a blogging bounty of gifts sent  directly to me from YouTube heaven. Second, it's an 80s prime time TV happening that capitalized on the height of the aerobics trend by showcasing the nation's sproingiest, most patriotic and attractive fitness freaks. I've covered it before here, and I'm kind of amazed I haven't posted more, because there's just so much of this:


And I'm far from the only one to notice. Splitsider has this fun interview with Alan Thicke, who got roped into hosting the program. Since the last time I cruised the hallways of the Crystal Light cathedral, the clips seem to have become fodder for lazy-kitschy music videos.




I'm fully on board with this aerobicized fan video for Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time."



Oh, Crystal Light National Aerobics Championship. You're like that whale carcass from Planet Earth, chilling on the deep sea floor and supporting an entire little ecosystem of bloggy, briny creatures. We'll pick off your detritus of spandexed 1980s television, scavenging it for the nourishment of a Kickstarter page or an art-school video collage, turning the bites into bytes until you've been completely subsumed by the big blue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment